Summertime is here and it is HOT here in the PNW. It's always an option to blast the air conditioner all summer long, but there are ways to keep your home cool that are better for the environment and won't double your energy bills.
- Ceiling Fans: Ceiling fans my be an overlooked method to keep your home cool, but that's because they are often used incorrectly. During the summer months a ceiling fan should be rotating counterclockwise to send cool air down otherwise you will be recirculating the heat in your home.
- Blinds: If your home has windows that fast the west or north, make sure to keep them covered with blinds to prevent the sun from heating up your home.
- Mind the gaps: Cover or repair all gaps and cracks near doors and windows to ensure your cool air stays in during the day. This paired with your home's insulation will also prevent heat from seeping in on hot days.
- Evening chill: When the sun goes down and the temperature is cooler, open up your windows and doors to bring that cool air in. Just make sure to get them closed before the sun comes up!
- Box fans: If your home has multiple windows on opposite sides of the room, you can create a cooling effect with two box fans on each side. One should be facing inward and the other outward. This will keep a contact airflow brining in fresh air and removing the hot air.
A few other tips: invest in a $20 mini pool from target, drink cool drinks like lemonade or slushies, & eat all the watermelon and popsicles it is summer still, get outside!